BARCELONA, Spain – This week, tens of thousands of mobile technology executives, entrepreneurs and enthusiasts descended on this pleasing town to watch demonstrations of new software, obtain a shut look at the ultimate phones and tablets and end at a tapas club or two.
Amid the numerous of products and services introduced at the Mobile World Congress, a few leading themes threaded their way in to many of the announcements and panels. I’ve emptied out my cover and listed them below.
Phones Go Facebook: Although Mark Zuckerberg, the arch senior manager of Facebook, has repetitively denied rumors of an authorized Facebook phone, a few gadgets denounced at the discussion showed off program that is firmly integrated with the amicable networking site. INQ, a tiny handset creator formed in London, showed off two such devices. HTC worked keenly with Facebook to rise two phones that soak up Facebook applications similar to chat, messaging and photos right away in to their user interfaces. Perhaps the many engaging foreword of the week came from Gemalto, a Dutch firm that denounced a SIM card with a Facebook focus included. This allows phone owners who do not have access to the mobile Internet to pointer up for Facebook and refurbish their position messages using the handset’s text-messaging channel.
Android Overload: Just similar to at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas progressing this year, Android’s tentacles reached in to dozens, if not hundreds, of smartphone demonstrations, focus booths, mobile discussions and inscription P.C. unveilings. When asked how many Android gadgets were at the show, Andy Rubin, one of the arch architects at the back the working network at Google, confessed, “I have no idea.” This year’s uncover moreover evident the initial time Google had a participation on the salon floor, and the firm went all out to attraction itself to attendees. It handed out honey-infused smoothies to commemorate the Honeycomb chronicle of Android and speedy visitors to make use of a stadium slip that snapped a Polaroid photo at the bottom. Conference gossip has it that Eric Schmidt, Google’s arch executive, went for a float on it.
Chinese Competition: Of all the adorned booths gift hands-on demonstrations of mobile wares, two jumped out as creation a bigger dash than most. Huawei and ZTE, two hardware manufacturers formed in China, say they are seeking to make an assertive fool around for marketplace share in the United States. Both are betting on a burly portfolio of stylish – nonetheless inexpensive – smartphones and tablets to help win over American shoppers. “Our normal marketplace is the rising market,” Lixin Chang, arch senior manager of ZTE USA, mentioned in an interview. “Last year, you pennyless out in Europe. This year, we’ll break out in the U.S.”
Mobile Money: Near-field information , or NFC, was one of the hottest mobile technologies at the conference. Everyone, from tech management team to the heads of wireless carriers, overwhelmed on the remunerative business chance that awaits the foreword of services that let you call your phone to pay for something. On Thursday, the vanquish of people anticipating to attend sessions on mobile financial and NFC technology was so large that organizers motionless to repeat a few of them. “It’s unquestionably an overnight revolution,” mentioned Elvira Swanson, a senior business personality at Visa who functions in its mobile payments division. “But it’s a forthcoming evolution.”
I’d acquire extra themes and thoughts from those who attended the discussion in Barcelona and those who followed along at home.
- Bits Blog: At Long Last, Facebook Releases An IPad App
- Bits: Facebook Readies An IPad App, Finally
- Bits Blog: Is The Amazon Press Conference About A Color Kindle?
- Facebook Messenger Mixes Your Facebook Inbox With Group SMS, So You Can Get A Hold Of Just About Anyone [Downloads]
- Facebook Will Be Baked Into Dozens Of Mobile Devices This Year
- Why Facebook Is (Probably) Turning To Android To Make Mobile Even More Social
- Bing And Blekko Integrate Facebook ‘Likes’ And Mobile Check-ins
- Postagram Captures Android And Facebook For More Mobile Photo Postcard Fun
- China’s Baidu To Launch Android-based Mobile OS
- Facebook Seeking Encryption For Apps, Mobile
- Bits: Aro Mobile Wants To Simplify Your Mobile Phone
- Facebook To Shelve Beluga Messenger In December
- Apple’s Mobile Partner In China Announces Its Own IPhone Rival
- Facebook Messenger App Launched, Puts SMS To Shame
- Bits: T-Mobile Tries To Counter The IPhone’s Spread
- The 5 Coolest Things From The Google I/O Keynote
- AppArchitect Lets Anyone Build IOS Apps, No Coding Or Templates Necessary
- IOS App Store Accounts For Nearly 75% Of Mobile App Download Revenue
- Google Keep
- Polaris Office 4.0 (for Android)
- More Images Of Suspected Milky Way S4 Appear On Web
- Must-have NFC Smartphones
- IPhone 5 Problems: What Users Complain About The Most (updated)
- Google Rolls Out Changes To Mobile Gmail Web App, Gets IOS-inspired Design
- Google Field Trip: Exploration Without The Effort
- Skype Competitor Viber Hits 175 Million Users, Up From 140 Million+ In December
- Galaxy Note 8.0 Hands On: The 8-Inch Tablet That’s An 8-Inch… Phone
- HTC One Ditches Megapixels For Ultrapixels
- Consumer Spending On Mobile Games Tops That For Portable Consoles
- Toy Fair 2013: ‘America’s Funniest Home Videos’ Board Games Includes QR Cards To Enhance Game
- 8 Apps To Help You Survive A Storm
- Apple May Be Earning Up To $1 Billion This Year From Google Search On IOS Devices
- Worldwide Smartphone Usage Will Reach 1.4 Billion This Year
- What To Know About BlackBerry 10?
- Mobile Miscellany: Week Of January 28th, 2013