Google has responded to an Android marketplace malware shock by stealing the applications remotely. But Google’s situation with malware is usually expected to be the commencement as future attacks are certain.
In a blog post , Google’s mobile group remarkable that it detected a garland of malware published on the Android Market. “Within mins of apropos aware” Google private the apps. These applications took value of vulnerabilities that do not start Android 2.2.2 or higher. The enemy got device definite codes and could have poached data. Google updated that it will retreat the damage completed remotely too.
Google mentioned it is “adding a number of measures to help stop extra rouge applications using identical exploits from being distributed by Android Market.” In other words, Google’s diversion of malware Whac-A-Mole has just started. Kaspersky’s Roel Schouwenberg mentioned on Zero Day :
Up until right away Android malware had usually been found in third celebration marketplaces and web sites. Now, the rouge apps are living in Google’s own garden. This is quite critical since there are quite a couple of service providers who do not enable their customers to setup non-marketplace applications. In addition, people appear to innately certitude applications that reside in a middle repository.
Add it up and Android might breeze up having its Microsoft short time when it comes to security. Microsoft was lax, targeted since it had the marketplace share and then became severely softened with periodic vegetable patch updates. Overall, I’d rate Microsoft as really great when it comes to security. After years of being pummeled Microsoft got its deed together. Microsoft isn’t perfect, but has softened dramatically.
Also: Google type of, arrange of, addresses Android Malware
With Pwn2Own looming, Mozilla and Google liner browser rags
Welcome to the mobile malware mess, you hope you suffer your stay
Now Google’s tour is beginning. This new Android safety issue is expected to be just the start. Now it’s probable this Google assault is just a one-off, but that’s unlikely. The stakes are as well high.
Meanwhile, all the mixture are there for an continuing Android safety issue. To wit:
Simply put, Google is quite the sugar pot for attackers. Game on.
- McAfee: Malware Going Mobile
- Google Kind Of, Sort Of, Addresses Android Malware
- Android Users Twice As Likely To See Malware Than Six Months Ago
- Love Lure Malware Turns Up At Android Marketplace
- Expert: Android Market Should Scan For Malware
- Android Bugs Let Attackers Install Malware Without Warning
- Android Market Malware Has Users Begging Google To Remotely Disable Bad Apps
- Googles Investment Pays Off: Ngmoco Building Plus (And Possibly Games) For Android
- Smartphones? Theres Malware For That, Too.
- Android Bug Lets Attackers Install Malware Without Warning
- Owners To Blame For Latest Android Malware
- Mobile Trojan Mimics Android Clean-up Tool
- Mobile Spyware Tool Helps Paranoid Spouses Prove Themselves Right
- Android: The Open Mobile Choice
- Socialwok Takes Collaboration Platform Mobile, Launches IPhone And Android Apps
- The 5 Coolest Things From The Google I/O Keynote
- AppArchitect Lets Anyone Build IOS Apps, No Coding Or Templates Necessary
- IOS App Store Accounts For Nearly 75% Of Mobile App Download Revenue
- Google Keep
- Polaris Office 4.0 (for Android)
- More Images Of Suspected Milky Way S4 Appear On Web
- Must-have NFC Smartphones
- IPhone 5 Problems: What Users Complain About The Most (updated)
- Google Rolls Out Changes To Mobile Gmail Web App, Gets IOS-inspired Design
- Google Field Trip: Exploration Without The Effort
- Skype Competitor Viber Hits 175 Million Users, Up From 140 Million+ In December
- Galaxy Note 8.0 Hands On: The 8-Inch Tablet That’s An 8-Inch… Phone
- HTC One Ditches Megapixels For Ultrapixels
- Consumer Spending On Mobile Games Tops That For Portable Consoles
- Toy Fair 2013: ‘America’s Funniest Home Videos’ Board Games Includes QR Cards To Enhance Game
- 8 Apps To Help You Survive A Storm
- Apple May Be Earning Up To $1 Billion This Year From Google Search On IOS Devices
- Worldwide Smartphone Usage Will Reach 1.4 Billion This Year
- What To Know About BlackBerry 10?
- Mobile Miscellany: Week Of January 28th, 2013