I think that we might have turn rather smitten with Straight Talk (a prepaid cellphone service that uses networks from ATT, Sprint, and Verizon), causing me to wish to surveillance its newest access to the Android smartphone arena: an Android phone made by LG . It is supposed to advance versed with twin core estimate power, 4G connection speeds, and an 8 MP camera, that sounds really impressive. But most appropriate of all is that this is being offering for usually $45 a month with no contract.
However, after deliberating this with a few of my associate Gnomies and reception a few citation toward where to take this article, we satisfied that we have been wearing blinders and usually seeking at definite cellphone services and definite cellphone hardware. we was similar to one of the 3 blind mice: not able to to see (or not peaceful to see) the many other options available. To redress my shortsightedness, we knew that we indispensable to do a few design investigate in to other brands of cellphones, the other types of working systems being employed, and the other networks being used. In order to attain this, we knew that we had to establish just how well, or not so well, any particular pre-paid cellphone worked on any cellphone network, and compare how any of them performed.
I chose to perform my trials on the Internet, gap the LockerGnome website from the subsequent to phones [pictured from tip left]:
Row #1: Apple iPhone, paid, ATT; HTC, paid, ATT; LG, paid, Verizon; Samsung, paid, ATT
Row #2: Samsung, paid, ATT; BlackBerry, paid, Sprint; Nokia, paid, Verizon; Samsung, pre-paid, Straight Talk [Verizon]
Not shown: Samsung, pre-paid, Straight Talk [Sprint]
Out of the phones appearing, usually 3 upheld 3G, whilst the other 6 did not. Unfortunately, the 6 that didn’t encouragement 3G were painfully slow, requiring 30 seconds of air time before they rendered up the LockerGnome website. These 6 phones were, however, reported by their owners to work excellent for conversing and texting, but all concluded that (whether paid or pre-paid) they did not give an beguiling surfing experience.
On the other hand, the 3 3G phones rendered the LockerGnome website as follows:
Apple iPhone, paid ATT [$105 a month]: 3 seconds
HTC, paid, ATT [$85 a month]: 4 seconds
Samsung, pre-paid, Straight Talk [Sprint] [$45 a month]: 7 seconds
I do noticed that that this was a completely non-scientific way to assessment the phones. However, in my opinion, this demonstrated something we already knew. Here are a few information from my personal experience with family, friends, neighbors, and associates.
In my tiny segment of the world, most people use what we ordinarily call a reticent phone – one used for creation calls and texting.
Talking and texting, with the stress on texting, is the widespread form of communication.
When someone wants to roller the Internet or experience in one of the amicable networking sites, it is normally completed on a computer, not on a smartphone.
Paid cellphone service is the normal (with a few people considering of a pre-paid service being for criminals or CIA agents in the form of throwaway phones). They simply aren’t wakeful of how pre-paid services function.
Due to the proportions of cellphone plans, the various types of cellphones, etc., people lend towards to feel inundated with choices.
An e.g. of how paltry our range is, in what is being offering by various cellphone companies, was brought home to me when Jake, here at LockerGnome, sensitive me that T-Mobile has a pre-paid cellphone outline . we was unquestionably taken backward when he told me that the firm moreover offering an affordable 4G cellphone. Of course, that made me curious, so we motionless to examine what was being offering and we longed for to share this with you.
Walmart, as you are probably already aware, has turn one of the leading distributors for many of the pre-paid plans, inclusive one is to T-Mobile Samsung Android 4G phone, that is offering for a mere $30 a month. This $30 a month outline is an disdainful treat from Walmart and includes infinite Web access and texting. However, it restricts you to 100 mins of speak time per month. The phone being offering is graphic here:
Samsung Exhibit II 4G Prepaid Android Phone
High Resolution Screen
Display: 3.7″ 16M TFT, 480×800 pixels
Real Web Browsing
3.0 Megapixel Rear Camera with LED Flash
VGA Front Camera
Complete Google Experience and Integration
GPS Navigation with Google Maps and Navigation
Expandable Memory of up to 32 GB
Stereo Bluetooth Technology
T-Mobile TV HD
So how do you confirm either a paid or pre-paid outline is correct for you? The answer is comparatively simple. If you are formulation to use your phone as a mini P.C. and outlay a considerable amount of time surfing the Internet, obtain a paid cellphone plan. However, if you outline on spending most of your time talking, texting, and carrying out paltry surfing, a pre-paid outline might work good for you. In addition, a pre-paid outline can save you hundreds of dollars a year.
It was engaging to attend to the owners of the HTC phone, who uses a paid ATT account. He told us that he functions for a sovereign group and receives a 20% bonus for his cellphone service as a segment of his benefits package. However, even with his discount, he pays $85 a month. After conference the pros and cons of the different phones and services available, he settled that he was considering varying his service to one of the pre-paid options available.
The greatest jump is what network to choose, either it be for a paid or a pre-paid plan. Before creation that decision, we would rarely suggest that you try a accumulation of different phones. If necessary, steal them from family or friends so that you can compare the different networks. we made a outrageous inapplicable designation when we paid for a Samsung Android powered phone from Straight Talk using the Sprint network. Because we didn’t check it out first, we was unhappy to uncover that, whilst it functions good in most locations, it won’t let me make or receive calls from my home. In fact, to use the phone, we have to use my Wi-Fi service along with GrooVe IP to make calls, that is a pain. It requires me to call people back using the Internet to have a proper connection.
Due to my disappointment with the Sprint network in our area, I’m going to take Jake’s recommendation and give the Android phone on top of along with the T-Mobile service a try. we will do a examination on how good that network functions for me.
As a side note, we read one blog essay (which we do not wish to couple to to be able to prevent annoying the author) saying that Straight Talk would be using ATT with the LG 4G Optimus 2x; the essay suddenly altered direction, saying that was an error. The next matter was that this phone would be using T-Mobile. So we contacted patron service at Straight Talk and received this reply:
Please be sensitive that the ultimate phone model that we are advertising, that is the 4G Optimus 2x, is still upheld by the Sprint tower.
- Republic Wireless Offers Unlimited Calls, Text, And Data For A Rock-Bottom $19 A Month [Cellphone Service]
- How To Go Retro And Also Be More Comfortable When Using Your Cellphone
- Snoop Dogggg Goes 4G To Celebrate Launch Of Samsung Milky Way Indulge, Was Probably Paid More Than 4Gs To Do It
- Android App Uses Cellphone Camera To Measure Air Pollution
- Developers Favor Android As Paid App Support Comes To More Countries
- BlackBerry Music Service In The Works?
- Get Paid To Take Pictures For Strangers With Crowdmug
- O2 Germany Offers Bada Apps Paid For On Phone Bills
- Google Unveils Mobile Payments, Coupon Service
- Bits: Scribd Creates A Paid News Site
- Demand For Ruby, Hadoop And HTML5 Rockets, C Devs Still Best Paid
- Ultrasonic Payment Service Zoosh Bridges NFC Gaps
- How To Use Spotify In The U.S. With A VPN Service [Video]
- Big News: Google Starts Rolling Out Paid Android Apps Support In More Countries
- Google Expands Market For Paid Android Apps, But Still Snubs 85% Of The World
- GamePop Console Puts IOS Games On Your TV
- OK Go’s Damian Kulash Explains Why His Band Built Its Own Mobile Game
- The 5 Coolest Things From The Google I/O Keynote
- AppArchitect Lets Anyone Build IOS Apps, No Coding Or Templates Necessary
- IOS App Store Accounts For Nearly 75% Of Mobile App Download Revenue
- Google Keep
- Polaris Office 4.0 (for Android)
- More Images Of Suspected Milky Way S4 Appear On Web
- Must-have NFC Smartphones
- IPhone 5 Problems: What Users Complain About The Most (updated)
- Google Rolls Out Changes To Mobile Gmail Web App, Gets IOS-inspired Design
- Google Field Trip: Exploration Without The Effort
- Skype Competitor Viber Hits 175 Million Users, Up From 140 Million+ In December
- Galaxy Note 8.0 Hands On: The 8-Inch Tablet That’s An 8-Inch… Phone
- HTC One Ditches Megapixels For Ultrapixels
- Consumer Spending On Mobile Games Tops That For Portable Consoles
- Toy Fair 2013: ‘America’s Funniest Home Videos’ Board Games Includes QR Cards To Enhance Game
- 8 Apps To Help You Survive A Storm
- Apple May Be Earning Up To $1 Billion This Year From Google Search On IOS Devices
- Worldwide Smartphone Usage Will Reach 1.4 Billion This Year