(CNN) — Amazon might be forthcoming out with its own smartphone, according to a new inform from Bloomberg . The firm reportedly is using Foxconn to rise the hardware, that will expected run Amazon’s chronicle of the Android operating system.
A phone isn’t as fantastic of an endeavour as it might appear is to company, that has never done a handset. Amazon already has many of the office building blocks it would must be make money off a smartphone, inclusive its own chronicle of the Android operating system, an determined app store and well-stocked calm marketplaces that could make up a great lump of income is to phone. It moreover has a pool of constant customers who certitude the brand.
Amazon is comparatively new to the hardware game. The company’s initial access was the Kindle e-reader expelled in 2007, followed by its Android-powered large brother, the Kindle Fire tablet. Amazon has had more success than many other companies in the inscription marketplace interjection to getting in early and a low cost done probable by income from books, cinema and music.
However, the smartphone marketplace is already filled with timeless competitors. Current marketplace personality Samsung shipped 42.2 million smartphones worldwide in the initial entertain of 2012, according to investigate firm IDC. Apple was a shut second with 35.1 million smartphones, followed at a stretch by Nokia and Research In Motion.
There are moreover a few challenges unique to selling smartphones. To erect a decent device, Amazon will need the correct patents so it doesn’t finish up on the reception finish of dear lawsuits. To that end, the firm only hired a new broad executive for obvious acquisitions and investments, Matt Gordon.
Dealing with carriers would be other hurdle. Ina Fried at AllThingsD floated an appealing theory : Amazon could purchase wireless service indiscriminate from the large carriers and gold it with the devices, similar to it does is to Kindle.
The gossip that Amazon would betray a smartphone late this year flush in November 2011, when Citigroup’s investigate subdepartment predicted the device formed on its supply sequence checks in Asia. The new report, formed on two unknown sources “with ability of the matter” supports the original theory floated by Citigroup.
- Palm On Amazon’s Own Wish List, Report Says
- Report: Google Developing AR Glasses?
- Report: GameStop Developing Android Tablet
- Report: Amazon To Challenge IPad
- How To Trade In Your Smartphone For Cash Or Gift Cards On Amazon
- Amazon Launches ‘Penny Pincher’ Smartphone Sale
- Report Crime In Dallas With Your Smartphone
- Bits: Is Amazon Working On An Android Kindle?
- Six Ways The Apple IPad And Amazon Kindle Fire Are Different
- Why Does Amazon Need Its Own Voice Recognition Company? [Amazon]
- Rumor: An Amazon Android Tablet May Follow The Amazon Android App Store
- Amazon Prime A Winner With Free Shipping, Free Streaming, And Free Kindle Books
- Bits Blog: Is The Amazon Press Conference About A Color Kindle?
- Report: The Kindle Tablet Exists, And It’s A Big Deal
- Nielsen Report Shows Smartphone Buyers Flocking To Android
- OK Go’s Damian Kulash Explains Why His Band Built Its Own Mobile Game
- The 5 Coolest Things From The Google I/O Keynote
- AppArchitect Lets Anyone Build IOS Apps, No Coding Or Templates Necessary
- IOS App Store Accounts For Nearly 75% Of Mobile App Download Revenue
- Google Keep
- Polaris Office 4.0 (for Android)
- More Images Of Suspected Milky Way S4 Appear On Web
- Must-have NFC Smartphones
- IPhone 5 Problems: What Users Complain About The Most (updated)
- Google Rolls Out Changes To Mobile Gmail Web App, Gets IOS-inspired Design
- Google Field Trip: Exploration Without The Effort
- Skype Competitor Viber Hits 175 Million Users, Up From 140 Million+ In December
- Galaxy Note 8.0 Hands On: The 8-Inch Tablet That’s An 8-Inch… Phone
- HTC One Ditches Megapixels For Ultrapixels
- Consumer Spending On Mobile Games Tops That For Portable Consoles
- Toy Fair 2013: ‘America’s Funniest Home Videos’ Board Games Includes QR Cards To Enhance Game
- 8 Apps To Help You Survive A Storm
- Apple May Be Earning Up To $1 Billion This Year From Google Search On IOS Devices
- Worldwide Smartphone Usage Will Reach 1.4 Billion This Year
- What To Know About BlackBerry 10?